Wednesday, 15 April 2015

Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy. Come home. I'm so cold! Let me in-a-your window.

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (1847)


Heathcliff is an orphan who is adopted by the man who owns Wuthering Heights. Here he meets Catherine, who will become the love of his life, but she chose the neighbour, Edgar Linton. And then dies after giving birth to a girl, Cathy. Heathcliff ends up marrying, Edgar's sister, Isabella, as a revenge on both Catherine and Edgar. He is not in love with Isabella, and she suffers so much that she eventually runs off to London and gives birth to a son there, and names him Linton. When Isabella dies, Linton is sent to live with Heathcliff, and he has a scheme for his sickly son.

I first read Wuthering Heights over 10 years ago, and I loved it, but I couldn't really remember what it was about. And then last year, when I read A True Novel by Minae Mizumura (which is based on Wuthering Heights), I wanted to reread it. And I'm sort of let down, and I think I can blame Mizumura for that, as she made the modern Japanese version way better than the original.
That doesn't necessary mean that Wuthering Heights isn't good, because it is. I especially liked the beginning, but as the story continues it just too detailed so I lost interest, and then it got better towards the end again.  

Read them both is my advice.

2 comments:

  1. Sooo, det er dette du driver med mens du egentlig burde lest og dokumenter crime og utukt? Blasfemerer over Wuthering Heights - og fæle Nelly.
    Man kunne sikkert gjort verre...
    Kanskje....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blasfemerer? Utdyp! Jeg har knotet med dette innlegget siden påske, så det går ikke akkurat i lynfart for tiden. Men nå er det fullt fokus; tvanglesingskafe og Selma og vitenskap inngår i revidert 5 årsplan.

      Delete

Blog Archive