Sunday, 9 November 2014

on not reading nor writing.

the books I haven't blogged about

I cannot remember the last time I have spent so little time on books. I just don't seem to have the time nor energy to read. And I read so slow, it took over a month to finish the Lives of Others. And that would have been okay if I had read other books at the same time, but I haven't.  My main concern is that I won't be able to complete my main reading goal of reading 50 books this year. Nine books to go and less than two months left of the year. The most frustrating thing is that I don't seem able to write about the books I have read. I'm not going to care about the rest of my reading goals as long as I complete my main goal. Which means giving up on all the awesome reading circles, although I really want to read those awesome books, and I will try to read them as fast as I can (and link of course).  What went wrong? I have absolutely no idea. Anyway, here's a short summary of what I have actually read in the last few months:

36. All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy (1996)
Tags: 1001 books, books into films, state of the nation, war and travel, books you should read, family and self, love, sex drugs and rock'n'roll

Two teenagers ride from their homes in Texas into Mexico where they find jobs at a horse ranch. The first book in the Border trilogy and it is as amazing and awful as all of McCarthy's works. I'll write more once I have finished the trilogy. Read it!





38. Encircling 1 by Carl Frode Tiller (2007)
Tags: family and self, sex drugs and rock'n'roll

David has lost his memory, and his friends, ex-lovers and family write him letters to help him get his memory back. This is the first book in the Encircling trilogy and I will write more once I have finished it. It will be published in English next year, and I hope it will be as well received worldwide as it has been in Norway, despite the fact that I'm not entirely convinced this is brilliant. That is probably why I'm still only a few chapters in in book 2 and haven't picked it up in a month or so.


40. Våke over dem som sover by Sigbjørn Skåden (2014)
Tags: books not yet translated into english, books about the arctic, books you should read, family and self, books that made me cry, from the library, sex drugs and rock'n'roll

Amund is a young Sami artist who travels to Kautokeino to work on his new project and with the kids at the local lower secondary school. When he is there, he learns about the extended abuse of under age girls while he himself forms a relationship with one of the pupils he got to know in the lower secondary school. The ending is disturbing, and the underlying theme of Sami identity in the flashbacks is thought-provoking. This is high on my list of best books read in 2014. Cross your fingers that it will be translated into English or another language you understand!



41. the Lives of Others by Neel Mukherjee (2014)
Tags: man book prize, family and self, state of the nation, sex drugs and rock'n'roll

The extended Ghosh family lives in a big house in Calcutta. It is 1967 and India is seeing the start of the Naxalite movement. Supratik Ghosh suddenly disappears from the house to join the movement, and through his letters we learn how they work, while we follow the rest of the family's everyday drama and also get an insight in the family history. Why do I feel that I have read this before? Could it be because I have read both the Lowland and the God of Small Things this year? My conclusion is that writing about the Naxalite movement will get you nominated for the Booker Prize. My favourite parts of the book are the prologue, the final epilogue and the letters. The family saga was way too confusing and I don't think I have ever used the family tree as much as in this book (well, perhaps when I read Tolstoy). A lot of it could have been cut as it was just too much and not related to the plot. The book has a lot of strong points, and it was a lot of things; funny, gruesome, compelling, boring and thought-provoking. Mukherjee is on my list of the many authors I want to read more of.  I'm curious about how it will compare to the rest of the Booker shortlist, and the book was October's read in Clementine's Booker readalong.

I'm currently reading the Blindness of the Heart and it is really dark and beautiful. What am I going to read next? I have no idea, but I have 980 books to choose from + a library card.

7 comments:

  1. Jeg morer meg kostelig over at alle bøkene er tagget, sex, drugs and rocketroll. Nå ble plutselig Skåden-boka mye mer interessant, og brast oppover i køa, selv om jeg også ble litt forvirret, og tror jeg må lese Tiller om igjen, det var da vitterligen svært lite sex og drugs der, bare kvalme fyllekuler. Forresten, så nå plutselig at det er enern du leste, sikkert bare jeg som har glemt hvor lively det var. Lydbøker Monika, du må høre Tom Roger krangle på lydbok. Argh..
    - skjønner at tvangslesingkafe kom i grevens tid
    , selv om jeg bare slipper deg inn med biografi i veska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Etterhvert så har vel sex, drugs og rocknroll tæggen min blitt ganske utblandet (som rom i cola), men Tiller skrev jo både om fyllekuler og homsesex, så han er iallefall innenfor (men ikke nok til å bli tægget med queer). Skåden er rå! Og jeg boikotter fortsatt lydbøker.

      (er det forfatterrunde i biografilesesirkelen i desember?)

      Delete
  2. Først til Monika: Så bra at du likte Skåden og fremsnakker han. Vi trenger virkelig å få jobba opp litt oppmerksomhet omkring boka, for den er jo god!

    og så til Ingalill: Jamen, æ har jo sagt det til dæ! Men, har kanskje jeg skrev for lite om sexen.......Ja, det må være svaret. Men det vil du skjønne når du har lest boka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vi bør ta oss ei runde på alle norske blogger og trolle Skåden! Den var veldig god og ubehagelig.

      Er du ferdig i Oslo?

      Delete
  3. Som du skrev et annet sted:

    Skåden! Skåden! Skåden!!

    Ja, folkens, les Våke over dem som sover!

    Skåden! Skåden! Skåden!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja! Og etter Skåden så skal jeg TIL å NUUKe dere alle. Den topper muligens Skåden. Anbefales!

      Delete

Blog Archive