Sunday, 6 October 2013

forty-seven.

War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (1869)

""How can we fight the French, Prince?" said Count Rostopchin. "Can we arm ourselves against our teachers and divinities. Look at our youths, look at our ladies! The French are our Gods: Paris is our Kingdom of Heaven.""

It is 1805 and Russia and France are about to go to war. In the Rostov household, they are concerned about three things; money, marrying off their children and war. The Bolkonskys' estate is out on the countryside where the old Prince holds the rest of the family in a tight clutch. Pierre Bezukhov is the illegitimate son of one of the richest counts in Russia, and he unexpectedly inherits the money and climbs on the social ladder. He marries one of the important ladies, Helene Kuragina, but the marriage is colder than ice.

Napoleon and his army destroy the Russians, and even the aristocracy suffers horrible losses. The war changed the lives of the noble families, and they lived through tragedies, but also had some happy moments during the war. 

War and Peace is said to one of the best novels ever written. I cannot say that I agree, although I really enjoyed the story. But the bloody philosophical essays in between, and especially in the final epilogue. That really ruined the book for me. And Tolstoy sure takes his time to get to the point, and I believe that it would have been a lot better if only he had a strict editor. If you plan to read it, I suggest you go for a good edition which has put all the essays in an appendix.

But luckily, Tolstoy's genius shines through, and those parts which deals with family life, and especially love, are brilliant and as good as Anna Karenina. I just wish he would have kept to those subjects, as the strategies and details about warfare don't interest me at all. I do, however, see why many men list this as their favourite book. I'm just glad that I can tell the world that I have read War and Peace. 

This was September's read in Line's 1001 books reading challenge (and yes, I needed another week to finish it).

2 comments:

  1. Nå ble jeg veldig fristet til å finne fram Anna Karenina igjen. Kanskje jeg blir ferdig denne gangen? Gratulerer så mye med fullført Krig og fred:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna Karenina er jo fantastisk så den burde du klare å fullføre :) Og tusen takk.

      Delete