Tuesday, 8 October 2013

forty-eight.

Jordmora by Katja Kettu (2011)
(Kätilö)

Villøye is the midwife in Petsamo during World War II, and the place is crawling with German soldiers. Villøye falls in love with one of the soldiers, Johannes, and although he has got another girl pregnant, she follows him to a POW Camp with Soviet prisoners where she becomes a nurse. But the war is at its turning point, and Villøye and Johannes have to flee and they end up in an isolated hut in a remote Norwegian fjord.

Ohmygodthisbook! It has everything and so much more. It gives an excellent portrait of the complex Barents region, and the terrible war which devastated the area. It is a gruesome story, and really shows how people deal with the worst situations. And the choices Villøye makes have terrible consequences.

I really liked the language in the book, and the way it's a mix of Finnish, Russian and Sami words in the translation. And it's always interesting to read about the place where you hail from. I really regret that I gave up on learning Finnish because I'm really curious how this is in its original language. The translator, Turid Farbrergd, did a hell of a job and I have learnt so many new words. I also got a better picture of what it was like during the war, and I definitely need to read more about the war in the Barents region.

I hope it will be translated into English soon. If you get a chance, read it! It is definitely the best book I have read this year and on the list of my favourites and I already need to read it again. And Katja Kettu is an author I will definitely read more of. 

Ps: I think Villøye might be the horniest woman I have come across so far in literature, and I love it!

4 comments:

  1. Ok. Skjønner at jeg MÅ lese denne.

    Og, du, les Tampa og fortell meg om Villøye fremdeles er den kåteste ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Husker du at vi snakka om den på bokbloggtreffet. Elsker Jordmora og jeg vil lære meg finsk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Så klart! Hadde aldri lest den om det ikke hadde vært for din skyld. Jeg pusher den på alle kollegaene mine. Fantastisk bok!

      Delete