Sunday, 8 September 2013

forty-four.

All Dogs Are Blue by Rodrigo de Souza Leão (2008)

"And what if a blue dog really existed? It would be fucking amazing to have one. And if it had a puppy, would it be born blue, too? If he could bark and eat, what would a blue dog eat? Blue food? And if he got ill, would he take blue medicine?"

The narrator is a schizophrenic who is a patient at a psychiatric hospital in Brazil. He spends his days thinking, and conversing with his imaginary friends, Rimbauld and Baudelaire.

I had a hard time following the train of thoughts of a mad man. What was real and what wasn't? There were parts, mainly stand-alone sentences which I really enjoyed reading, but most of the time I kept counting the pages I had left to read. Thankfully, it's just a mere 109 pages long.

I have a feeling that this is a book you'll either love or hate. Or rather, understand or not getting the point. And I'm definitely one of those who don't get it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive