Sunday, 7 July 2013

thirty-three.

the Second World War by Antony Beevor (2012)

The Second World War was a 6 year long and the most devastating in history. Antony Beevor's book explains why and how the war started, and gives a detailed and chronological description of the events mixed with witness accounts. It is a great book which explains the unfathomable. From the rape of Nanking to the holocaust, not to mention the deaths of millions of soldiers and civilians. 

I can't say I enjoyed reading it, the events are too terrible and real, but I definitely liked Beevor's style. Although I think he focused too much on the details of some battles (like which division attacked which), he did a great job explaining the horrors of the war. The only thing I missed, was the mentioning of the war in Finnmark. I was surprised that it was completely left out, while other events in Norway was mentioned. But apart from that, I think all the other main events are in there, and I learnt a lot of new things. I really liked the story which opens the book, and I have used that as a starter when teaching the subject to the 14 year olds. 

A must-read for those who want to learn more about the Second World War!

2 comments:

  1. Tusen takk for et interessant innlegg om en bok mannen min har lest og også anbefalte varmt. Jeg må bare ta sats for å begynner, for jeg vet jo hvor grusomme disse hendelsene var.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, det er bare å begynne! Heldigvis så er det jo en bok som man kan lese over lang tid, jeg brukte vel tre måneder på den.

      Delete

Blog Archive