Friday, 5 October 2012

forty-seven.

the Rules of Attraction by Bret Easton Ellis (1987)

"and it's a story that might bore you but you don't have to listen, she told me, because she always knew it was going to be like that, and it was, she thinks, her first year, or, actually weekend, really a Friday, in September, at Camden, and this was three or four years ago, and she got so drunk that she ended up in bed, lost her virginity (late, she was eighteen) in Lorna Slavin's room, because she was a Freshman and had a roommate and Lorna was, she remembers, a Senior or a Junior and usually sometimes at her boyfriend's place off-campus, to who she thought was a Sophomore Ceramics major but was actually either some guy from N.Y.U, a film student, and up in New Hampshire just for The Dressed To Get Screwed party, or a townie."

Camden, New Hampshire, 1985. Simple version: Paul likes Sean, Sean likes Lauren and Lauren likes Victor. They are all seniors, but haven't quite figured out their majors yet. But there are always parties to go to, drugs to be taken and people to fuck.
How do you write about your favourite book, a book that you have read so many times that you can quote it? It's been three years since the last time I read it and yet I know most of it by heart. I'll admit it is also because the film version is the film I have watched the most. This time around it took about 5 hours to get through the 330 pages.

The film came out in 2002, starred Ian Somerhalder, James van der Beek and Shannyn Sossamon. What I really love about it, is that it differs quite a bit from the book in some parts and then quotes it perfectly in other. I saw the film many times before I realised that it was a book. I'm not sure why I love the film and book so much, nothing much happens except a whole lot of partying. I love the way it's narrated by many people, but mainly Sean, Lauren and Paul. And the simple fact that the name comes first makes it a whole lot easier to follow than many other books. Some of the chapters are the same scene (or party) seen from various angles and they all reveal something new.  And most of the people in it are mentioned more than once. I love how I connect more dots every time I read it.

I need to see the film again. Now. And read American Psycho so I can get to know Sean's big brother, Patrick.

2 comments:

  1. American Psycho har jeg lest, den sitter i meg ennå! Nå fikk jeg lyst til å lese mer av Ellis - takk for tips.
    Også takk for oppmuntring til lesing av Forsyte sagaen, den var tung i begynnelsen, men jeg føler det går bedre nå :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeg har lagt de fire Ellis bøkene jeg ikke har lest i handlekurven på amazon. Anbefaler the Rules of Attraction av hele mitt hjerte - er mye mer lettlest enn American Psycho, det er iallefall inntrykket mitt etter å ha lest 28 sider av AP.

      Heia Forsyte! (Prøver å finne min favoritt, vet at det iallefall ikke er Soames.)

      Delete

Blog Archive