Saturday, 11 August 2012

thirty-nine.

Wild by Cheryl Strayed (2011)
From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Cheryl Strayed hiked alone on the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert in Southern California to the Bridge of the Gods on the Oregon / Washington border in 1995. And wrote an amazing book about it.

I really want to gush about this one, but also I want you to find out for yourself how amazing it is. So in short; after Cheryl's mum died of cancer, she went down a self-destructing path and in order to find herself again decided to hike the Pacific Crest Trail. On the trail she encountered all sorts of weather, rattlesnakes and bears, lost her shoe, starved, had no money but also met all sorts of awesome people.

I cried, grinned and held my breath while reading it and it was a great fun to read about all those places I have been to in the past month. Just wish I had read it before going, but then again, I might have done something crazy like attempting to hike myself. But I have done is putting some of the books she read on her hike on wish list. I love books which inspire me to read other books!

I also must mention that I was sceptical at first - but the chief reason for that was that the book is in Oprah's Book Club. But now I have come to believe that Oprah has a great taste in books and especially because a lot of those books I have either read and loved or they're in my bookshelves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive