Thursday, 26 July 2012

thirty-six.

the Country Girls by Edna O'Brien (1960)

Caithleen and Baba grew up together on the Irish country side and are sent to a convent when they are fourteen. Caithleen comes from a poor home and her father is a drunk, while Baba comes from a richer home where the mother is the drunk. The girls hate the convent and they try to get expelled so they can go off to Dublin and meet nice boys.

Caithleen and Baba don't have the best of friendship as Baba is always walking over Caithleen, but they do not really have anyone else. And while Caithleen is the smart and serious one, Baba is the airhead who only thinks about boys. 

I really enjoyed reading this book, it was a perfect light summer read although it has its depth. And I certainly can understand why this book and the following sequels were burnt and banned in Ireland in the 1960s. 

I'm also glad I found the Lost Girl / Girl with Green Eyes in a used book store in Seattle as I just had to figure out what Caithleen and Baba get up to in Dublin. I'm also browsing every used book store in my way to find the last book in the trilogy. And Edna O'Brien is one of those author I definitely am going to read more of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive