Tuesday, 10 July 2012

book travelogue #1.

I have bought nine books until now while travelling. The first book was already bought at the Gardermoen airport - it has recently changed from one chain to another and I had problems finding a book to buy and that was not because of too many to choose from, but because most of the books I either a had or didn't want to read. I eventually landed on the Country Girls by Edna O'Brien and read a couple of pages while waiting for the plane to Reykjavik.

I loved every second of my days in Reykjavik and the first book store I went into was the Eymundsson on Austurstræti 18. They had a great selection of English books and I had a problem deciding which one to take with me home. I landed on Suttree Cormac McCarthy and because the weather was so beautiful and the store had a nice outdoor café, I spent some time reading there. I'm almost done with the book, but it's hard to find time to read when you're surrounded by people all the time.

Fast forward to San Francisco where I have spent almost a week now. I'm in awe with this city! One day while walking around Mission, I spotted this small sign saying Forest Books, and I went inside. They had a great selection of used books, and I liked how they had sorted the authors by name and country. I picked up Segu by Maryse Condé, the Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway and a first edition of Rushing to Paradise by J.G Ballard. Further down the street we came upon the Community Thrift Store where the paperbacks were 1.90 each! And of course, then I felt really bad about spending 40 on 3 books minutes before. The selection was also great here, but really unorganised. I ended up with 4 books; the Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck, the Shipping News by E. Annie Proulx, the Bone People by Keri Hulme and the Autobiography of my Mother by Jamaica Kincaid.

I'm having a blast and am excited for our road trip to start tomorrow! Just really concerned about my suitcase already being too heavy so I have to be careful about not buying too many books. And hopefully I'll get more time to read so I at least can finish the books I have started.

1 comment:

  1. If you end up with too many books, ship them home via snail mail. That's what I used to do ;)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive