Saturday, 12 May 2012

twenty-seven.

Happiness is Possible by Oleg Zaionchkovsky (2010)

"Suddenly I was swamped by the noise of the city, as if someone had jacked it up to full volume. Leading the acoustic assault with its screeching and howling was a trolleybus, followed by a tumultuous herd of invisible cars, roaring and snarling in every possible register. Birds' wings started clapping, music stared playing, invisible crowds of people started babbling and scraping their feet. We were in Moscow."

A writer is residing with his dog, Phil, after his wife, Tamara, suddenly divorced him. Yet, he sees her and her new man all the time. He is struggling with writing his next book and spends his days wandering around Moscow, going to the datcha and drinking too much alcohol. In this way he meets many interesting people who gets a space in his narrative.

I'm torn between really liking this book and it being just an okay read. I really enjoyed reading it, but then an hour later I can't hardly recall anything from it. Does the writer even have I name? I can't remember. But I know that I read most of it with a smile, and sometimes even laughed out loud. Because the old writer's observations and stories are funny.  And somehow it moves, but slowly, forward. But I guess I'm really not that impressed.

This was the first book of the year published by And Other Stories which I started subscribing too. There's something special seeing your name in the back of the book and knowing that my book is special because it's numbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive