Friday, 27 April 2012

twenty-four.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (1813)

“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.” 

The Bennets are so unfortunate to have five daughters; Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Lydia and Kitty. Mrs Bennet is hoping to get them all married to rich, well-respectable gentlemen. So when the manor close by is rented by a rich gentleman, Mr Bingley, the mother and daughters are eager to meet him. But it is his friend, the rich Mr Darcy who leaves the biggest and not the best impression on the girls.

But good things come to those who wait. And Mrs Bennet's wish for marrying off at least one of her daughters is fulfilled by the end of the book, not just once, but three times. Although it takes a while and a major change of heart for some of them to get there.

I'm no longer an Austen virgin! I have always thought that Jane Austen would be boring, and I'm very glad to say that I was wrong. It is not the best thing I have read, but it was an entertaining read. I only wish we would have gotten to follow Lydia for a bit, because I really found her an interesting character.

 “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive