Sunday, 26 February 2012

week 8.

Phew! Winter break turned into reading week. I started and finished 5 books in a week. The weather was too warm for skiing (saw a butterfly outside my window, what's going on?) and I have so far corrected zero papers. I will pay for it the next couple of weeks, oh well.

Books I finished
the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins - Three books in three days. Go Katniss!
Kamchatka by Marcelo Figueras - a sad yet witty book about 1976 in Argentina seen through the eyes of a 10 year old.
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons - One of the wittiest and charming books I have read in a while. Loving it.

Currently reading
Annabel by Kathleen Winter - just a few pages in and the Canadian winter is already haunting me. And the boy born with one testicle, labia and vagina, of course. Promising!

Books I bought

 I couldn't just leave the Hunger Games, so I downloaded the two other books to my Kindle. In hindsight, I wish I had bought them as paperbacks because they would be great additions to the box with English literature at our school. Maybe if I find some cheap used ones while travelling this summer. I also downloaded Walden to my Kindle from Project Gutenberg because all the people who walk into woods have read this first.

Films I have seen

 the Help (2011) - Not as funny and charming as I had hoped. And the problem with just having read the book, is that then you remember it too well and I compared it too much with the book. Why this is nominated for best film at the Oscar's is beyond me and I sincerely hope it doesn't win. Not that any of the other films have impressed me either.







Next week's plan

No idea, but I will definitely slow down the reading for a while. Unless Annabel gets horrible exciting and I just have to finish it at once. I also think I will just focus on one book at the time, as I have shelved Sherlock Holmes. But Hangover Square by Patrick Hamilton and Dance, dance, dance by Haruki Murakami are high on my list over books to read next.

Which Jane Austen novel would you recommend and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive