Sunday, 19 February 2012

week 7.

(Trying a new thing where I reflect on the past week in books and the like.)

Most of the week has been spent in Mississippi with the Help and in London with Sherlock Holmes. Finished both earlier today and also got somewhere in both Cold Comfort Farm and the Hunger Games. A week off work is coming up, a week that will be spent correcting 60 papers, skiing, but also lots of reading.

Books I finished
the Help by Kathryn Stockett - a somewhat good book about coloured maids and white employers in the 1960s in Mississippi.
the Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - the weakest of the two Sherlock Holmes books I have read so far.

Currently reading
the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - getting really into it and do not want to put it down yet not looking forward to reading further.
the Hound of Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - maybe the most famous Sherlock Holmes novel.
Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons - only on page 17, but I'm cheerful and hopeful.

Films I have seen

 Oliver Twist (2005) - Directed by Roman Polanski. This was very true to the book up to a certain point and then went its own way. I wish Polanski had kept to the book as I would love to see the characters he missed, but the film is really good and the kids loved it.
 






the Rum Diary (2011) - based on the book by Hunter S. Thompson. It was one of the first books I wrote about on my blog and I liked it. Two years later I hardly remember the plot, so I couldn't compare it to the film at all. But I didn't enjoy the film, it doesn't seem to go anywhere except in the last 20 minutes. And not even Johnny Depp helped it in any way.







Next week's plan
Finish the books I'm currently reading. I can't believe another month is almost up and Cold Comfort Farm is to be reviewed on next Sunday in Line's reading challenge. Not sure what to start on next, every time I look at my bookshelves, I want to read them all at once. Maybe just close my hand and pick one randomly (but how random does it get when they are in alphabetical order?). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive