Thursday, 9 February 2012

six.

A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1887)

His ignorance was as remarkable as his knowledge. Of contemporary literature, philosophy and politics he appeared to know next to nothing... My surprise reached a climax, however, when I found incidentally that he was ignorant of the Copernican Theory and of the composition of the Solar System.
 Dr Watson moves in with a complete stranger, Sherlock Holmes. Sherlock is an eccentric man who calls himself a consulting detective. And because Dr Watson has nothing better to do, as he was discharged from the army, he joins Sherlock in solving mysteries. And their first crime to solve is the dead American found in an empty apartment.

 My first meeting with Sherlock Holmes was an impressive one! Sir A.C Doyle has a style of writing that really impressed me. It didn't feel like I read a 120 year old crime novel (except for the obvious lack of modern technology and horses). I especially liked how it suddenly changed the setting from London to Salt Lake City. And although this should be about Sherlock and Watson, I think I enjoyed the Utah part more. Really interesting to read about the founding of Salt Lake City and the Mormons.

I'm already well into the Sign of Four, the second Sherlock novel!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive