Sunday, 29 January 2012

week 4.

(Trying a new thing where I reflect on the past weeks in books and the like.)

This week was an okay reading week. I got quite a lot of time to read as influenza struck me on Thursday and most of the time was spent on finishing Great Expectations. My sister is currently living with me and it is hard to find a comfortable situation to do some reading when there is always someone talking or watching tv.

Books I finished
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens yesterday and while I truly enjoyed parts of it, I just couldn't really enjoy it. It has been really fun to read about what other Norwegian bloggers reading it and I seem to be the only one who wasn't awed. 

Currently reading
We, the Drowned by Carsten Jensen - I love it! It is awesome and awful at the same time. I might finish it tonight if I don't prioritise sleep. 

Books I bought



I read in some blog about BetterWorldBooks - a website where you can buy new and used books and with each book you buy a book is donated to organisations worldwide. I rather buy used books (recycling and the thrill of the book having been in some stranger's hand) than new books and with the free shipping, I just had to try it. I chose books that I haven't been able to find elsewhere (not that I have been looking very hard). I also liked the personal thank you e-mail I got from the books I ordered. Can't wait for my package!

Films I have seen
The Hedgehog (Le hérisson) (2009) - based on the Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery. I loved the book simply because of the last 100 pages minus the end and I really hoped that they had changed the ending because it was so sad. Loved the film, and I loved Paloma more in the film than the book. Watch it if you want something cute and French!

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011) - based on the book by Stieg Larsson. I have seen the Swedish version of the film, but liked the American version better. I think it wasn't as rushed as the Swedish one. The rape scene really hit me because it was so disturbing. The first book in the Millennium series was my favourite, but I think I liked the film version better.







Next week's plan
Definitely finish We, the Drowned. I think I'll pick up the Help by Kathryn Stockett simply because the film is nominated for Best Film at the Oscar's. I will also start on Jerusalem - the biography by Simon Sebag Montefiore. We are currently learning about Judaism in the religion classes and I really want to learn more about Jerusalem's history. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Vi, De Druknede er på toppen av min prioriteringsliste. Jeg har i voksen alder aldri lest en bok av en dansk forfatter (merkelig nok), og Carsten Jensen sin murstein virker veldig lovende. Tror jeg må lese den snart jeg også. Må innrømme at størrelsen på boken har stoppet meg fra å lese den flere ganger...

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive