Friday, 30 December 2011

seventy-five.

the Shining by Stephen King (1977)

 Jack Torrance is the winter caretaker of the Overlook hotel, high up in the Rocky Mountains, Colorado. He brings his wife, Wendy, and their 5 year old son, Danny and they will spend the winter in solitude. But Danny is not a normal boy, he can read minds and see the future, and he has very bad visions about the hotel.

Poor Danny and his visions! He tries to keep them to himself as his father really need this job so he won't start drinking again and his parents won't get divorced. When coming to the hotel he meets the cook who is leaving for the winter, and the cook explains to him how he has the shining and that the terrible things at the hotel can't hurt him because they're just images of the past.

I was surprised how complex the book is, there's a lot of background information on the characters and family drama, and the hotel's history is also interesting. But I also like how it doesn't explain everything, the events at the end are still a bit fuzzy, but there's no way I'm reading this book again.

I read a few Stephen King books in my youth and then I stopped because they really frightened me. Yet, I think the Shining is the most frightening of them all. I got a few nightmares thanks to this. And about ten times worse than the film adaptation. I need to see the film again, just to compare it to the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive