Sunday, 11 December 2011

reading goals 2011: how did it go?

My main goal was to read at least 50 books, something which I did some time this summer, I have readjusted this goal to 75 books and still have 4 to go.

The others were:

  • Read non-fiction, a genre I have ignored as I love fiction, but there is so much to learn from non-fiction books. Non-fiction books I own are King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild, Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson, Empires and Barbarians by P. Heather and A Carpet Ride to Khiva by C.A Alexander.
  • I have read some non-fiction, but none I mentioned. What I have read is How I Found Livingstone, Out of Africa, the Lost City of Z and my favourite book this year Atlas of Remote Islands: 50 islands I have not visited and never will. 
  • Read those classics. Many of them have been gathering dust on my bookshelf for years.
  • Some classics has been read, but not as many as planned. I have been stuck in the Karamazov Brothers since October and hopefully I will finish it before the year ends. Kindle and Project Gutenberg have made it easier for me to read the classics. I have really enjoyed some of them, especially Jane Eyre and Frankenstein, while not so much Buddenbrooks.
  • Read contemporary young adult fiction. I need to be able to recommend some books for my students to read. So far, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli is the only book on my list.
  • I read Stargirl, City of the Beasts, the Emerald Atlas and reread Harry Potter. I tried to push the City of the Beasts and the other books in the series on some of my students but they found the language too difficult. The kids I teach this year is so obviously smarter so I have to try again.
  • Cross off some more books on the 1001 books you should read before you die list. Only 5% complete. The shame! Also work on my life-time goal; read something by every Nobel Prize laureate. 
  • I'm up to 6%! My main problem is that I do not just stick to one list, I use three various lists, but that's okay. I have also read some more Nobel Prize laureates; Ernest Hemingway (finally), Nadine Gordimer (possibly the worst book of the year), (along with) Thomas Mann.
  • Continue my journey around the world in literature. This year I covered 17 countries.
  • 27 countries so far, so 10 new countries this year. I'm satisfied with how diverse my reading is when it comes to various countries. 
  • Read indigenous authors, and especially from the Arctic.
  • Not achieved. But at least I bought some books.
  • Read the books I own instead of buying new ones. Almost half the books I own are unread, circa 200. 
  • The number of unread books is now over 400, so no. But I only read books I buy. 
I'm satisfied with almost reaching all my goals. I will make new ones for next year, but they will not be very different from these ones.  

3 comments:

  1. Nå måtte jeg google "Atlas of Remote Islands: 50 islands I have not visited and never will" - den hørtes helt fantastisk ut. Selv om jeg aldri har lest noe lignende.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Det er rett og slett en fantastisk bok og helt ulikt alt annet jeg har lest. Men så elsker jeg kart og rare små historier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nå jeg var yngre pleide jeg å lese/ kikke i gamle atlas i stedet for barnebøker - så jeg håper at jeg også finner boka fascinerende.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive