Thursday, 20 October 2011

sixty-two.

the Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides (2011)

 "To start with, look at all the books."
  (A book starting with describing a bookshelf ought to be good.)

Madeleine is graduating from Brown and has been suffering from a bad break-up with Leonard. After a rough night she wakes up late for breakfast with her parents. They run into one of her best friends, Mitchell, whom Madeleine hasn't talked to in months due to a fight. Mitchell has been in love with Madeleine for years. And then, just as she's leaving for the graduation, a phone call from a friend of Leonard saying that he's in the psychiatric ward makes Madeleine run straight to the hospital. Let the drama begin!

I think this is the book I have been most looking forward to this autumn. And it didn't disappoint, well, maybe just a little bit at the end. It is, however, not as great as Middlesex, which I need to reread as soon as possible.

I'm trying to decide what I like best about this book, but it's impossible. Mitchell might be my favourite character, but it's a close race.

This is a great book from a great author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive