Saturday, 8 October 2011

sixty-one.

the Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway (1952)

An old man hasn't caught a fish in 84 days when he heads out alone. The man gets a giant merlin on the line, and he struggles with the fish for days while the fish drags him further from Havana.

How is it possible to write such a great story about something as dull as an old fisherman? The struggle with the fish is really exciting and I kept wondering what would happen to the story if the fish swam off and the old man had to give up. And what would happen to the man if he was successful?

It is a short story, merely a 100 pages long and because the struggle was so exciting it took a little over an hour to read. And I'm glad that I finally got around to read Hemingway. I will definitely read his other works - but right now there are so many other books that I feel I need to read right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive