Sunday, 26 June 2011

twenty-eight.

The Lost City of Z by David Grann (2009)A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon

"Now, as I examined my creased map, none of that mattered. I looked up at the tangle of trees and creepers around me, and at the biting flies and mosquitoes that left streaks of blood on my skin. I had lost my guide. I was out of food and water. Putting the map back in my pocket, I pressed forward, trying to find my way out, as branches snapped in my face. Then I saw something moving in the trees. "Who's there" I called. There was no reply. A figure flitted among the branches, and then another. They were coming closer, and for the first time I asked myself, What the hell am I doing here?"

Percy Harrison Fawcett was a famous explorer of the Amazon, and he disappeared in the jungle with his son and his son's friend in 1925 when he was looking for an ancient city called Z. Fawcett became even more famous after his death, many disappeared into the Amazon when trying to find him and people even established cults devoted to him.

David Grann tells the excellent tale of the explorer's life and his disappearance, but also about his own adventures into the Amazon 80 years after Fawcett. He hopes to find more clues about the disappearance and the city Fawcett was looking for.

I loved this book. David Grann has done an excellent job researching Fawcett and the Amazon. It is a thrilling adventure and I really felt the jungle while reading. As I read it on my Kindle, I highlighted parts of the text because I really liked what I read.

"The electric lights went out in Manaus," the historian Robin Furneaux wrote. "The opera house was silent and the jewels which had filled it were gone... Vampire bats circled the chandeliers of the broken palaces and spiders scurried across their floors."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive