Tuesday, 24 May 2011

twenty-one.


Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (2006)

A young girl is found killed in Shetland and her face has been hacked by ravens. The islanders quickly points out the weird old man living by himself as the killer. They have always held him responsible for a child gone missing years ago.

I loved the characters in this story, and I also liked that it is a slow going story with a lot of narrators. You really get to know the island and some of its people, including the murderer. Yet I totally guessed wrong, so Ann Cleeves is as clever as Agatha Christie.

The only thing I didn't really enjoy was the language. Sometimes it was too simple and sometimes it was trying too hard. I also did not like all the mentioning of ravens in the book, I wonder how many times the word was used?

I have already started on the sequel, White Nights and so far I like it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive