Saturday, 4 December 2010

reading goals and such

As this year is approaching its end, and as I reached my reading goal of 50 books already in August, I think it's time to look ahead to the new year.

My main goal will be the same; read 50 books during the year. But I have been thinking about what books I should read and have come up with some aims:
  • Read non-fiction, a genre I have ignored as I love fiction, but there is so much to learn from non-fiction books. Non-fiction books I own are King Leopold's Ghost by Adam Hochschild, Silent Spring by Rachel Carson, Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson, Empires and Barbarians by P. Heather and A Carpet Ride to Khiva by C.A Alexander.
  • Read those classics. Many of them have been gathering dust on my bookshelf for years.
  • Read contemporary young adult fiction. I need to be able to recommend some books for my students to read. So far, Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli is the only book on my list.
  • Cross off some more books on the 1001 books you should read before you die list. Only 5% complete. The shame! Also work on my life-time goal; read something by every Nobel Prize laureate.
  • Continue my journey around the world in literature. This year I covered 17 countries.
  • Read indigenous authors, and especially from the Arctic.
  • Read the books I own instead of buying new ones. Almost half the books I own are unread, circa 200.
Recommendations on how I can reach these goals are greatly appreciated, especially tips on indigenous Arctic authors.

2011 in books should be as entertaining as 2010 was.

2 comments:

  1. Woah, I read that list and saw that I actullay have read a lot of these. But I don't really think anyone should follow a list, I think one should read the books one actually want to. Why bother you through books that doesn't give you anything when there's so many, many books in the world and I'm sure something else would be jeut right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I'll complete the list, but I want to read a lot of those books. If I really hate a book, I throw it right away and find something better to read.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive