Wednesday, 26 May 2010

what kind of reader am i?

I like dirty, old, preferably dead, men. Sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll? Yes please. Charles Bukowski, J.G. Ballard, Arto Paasilinna, John Fante, Jack Kerouac, Hunter S. Thompson, William S. Burroughs and so on. Crash by J.G. Ballard is the book that has left the biggest impression on me. I drew, however, the line at the complete works of Marquis de Sade. It took me about 8 months to get through it, had to put the book down after a few pages and leave it for days as it was just too disgusting. I actually gagged while reading 120 Days of Sodom.

I spent my whole adolescence reading books written by young females, trying to relate. And I did relate. Francesca Lia Block, Elizabeth Wurtzel, Janet Fitch, Camilla Gibb. These days I prefer books written by non-English female writers. Books banned in China. Japanese female writers that are bad-ass; Natsuo Kirino, Hitomi Kanehara, Banana Yoshimoto. Chick-lit is too predictable for me. I do however buy the Shopaholic books by Sophie Kinsella if I come across them in a second-hand store. After reading the last sentence in Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell (which I got for free with a copy of Cosmopolitan), I threw the book at the wall because it was so bad.

What I do not read is science fiction and fantasy. The exception is J.R.R. Tolkien and books meant for children. Anything taking place elsewhere than on our planet is definitely out of the question.

I try to read more than 5o books every year. Yet my reading list is close to a 100 books at all times. Instead of buying souvenirs when I'm travelling, I buy books. And then there is Amazon with cheap books and cheap and fast delivery. I try to read as varied as possible, different genres and authors from all over the world. I often read more than one book at the same time and try to read something every day. And as I'm very close to becoming an English teacher, I'm trying to get better at analysing and promoting literature.

When I get filthy rich, I'm going to have a library and a cat named Lucifer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive