Wednesday, 17 March 2010

ten.

Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood (1988)

Once upon a time, in a land far away, while reading Oryx and Crake, someone told me that I need to read Cat's Eye. And now I finally did.

Friendships that turn into cruelties. It's one of those stories that haunts you when you're not reading it. I saw a lot of my own childhood in this book and it reminded me about all those things I have been trying to forget.
"This is what I miss, Cordelia: not something that's gone, but something that will never happen. Two old women giggling over their tea".


These are the books that have found my way recently.
(I find it hard to write about the things I really love.)

1 comment:

  1. "We scorn head-coverings. Our mouths are tough, crayon-red, shiny as nails. We think we are friends."

    even writing that down gives me the shivers. this means so much to me, always has; I first read cat's eye when I was 11 years old, and already loved it back then. you can only imagine how I felt reading it when I was 18, and 23, and now. I adore atwood, and everything I've read from her (I love the fact she's written so much; that, after all these years, I still have books to go), but this is my absolute favourite. one of my favourite books in the world, in fact. the way she writes about childhood, about the friendships of girls, is indeed haunting.

    (I also love the hours, but I think I love the movie even more.)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive