Friday, 8 January 2010

first post!

I had some time to kill yesterday, so I went to the book store. After some browsing I picked out Cormac McCarthy - the Border Triology, Gert Nygårdshaug - Mengele Zoo and Louis-Ferdinand Céline - Journey to the End of the Night. When I paid for them, the man at the counter told me that I deserved a prize for the books I bought. That totally made my day. Earlier this week I also ended up buying the two remaining books in the Millennium triology by Stieg Larsson.

I failed at reading 50 books last year. But I came close enough, 48. Here's to a new try.

Book 1: A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham (1990)
I loved the beginning of the book. It is beautifully written, but I have always been a sucker for short amazing sentences. I liked the story and while reading it, I was thinking about a few people who should read it. But the ending was really blah and not how I expected it to end. Yet I will recommend it to people.

Book 2: the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (2005)
A lot of people have recommended this book to me. I struggled a little with the beginning as I didn't think it was well written, but it got better after a while. I liked the story, but I have always enjoyed books that are more mystery than crime. I was also surprised that it was nothing that I expected after seeing the trailers to the movies made from the books. And it was one of those books that got so exciting that I just had to finish it, meaning that I stayed up way too late and hardly got any sleep. I immediately bought the two remaining books and have already started on the next one.

2 comments:

  1. Do you read Stieg Larsson in the English or Norwegian translation? I can agree that the Norwegian translation is not that well written, but is it so with other languages as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HURRA for blokblogg! Gled meg te å les ka du syns om Mengele zoo:)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive